Monday, April 12, 2010

What have I gotten myself into?

D and I met in a night class our last semester in college. We were both business management majors and therefore had many of the same classes throughout our 4 1/2 years at Texas State. I'd seen him around, but that was really all there was to it. When we met (for real) in our night class, we hit it off. I can't tell you what class it was, or what the professor's name was because I didn't really care at that point, I was ready to graduate. I do remember pizza one night in the class though (and I never forget pizza) and I do remember a group project but everything else, all the details or what grade I made in the class are all a blur. I did pass, I know that. And so did D.

Since we started dating in the fall, D and I didn't spend much time together on the weekends. He would travel to his ranch that seemed to be a million miles away and do God knows what out in the woods with beer and guns. This was a very intimidating time for me because not only was he doing scary things with wild animals and beer and guns in the woods, but his whole family would go. It wasn't like he was going with a bunch of 20 year old guys, just buddies going to get drunk and dangerous. But his FAMILY was there with him, doing scary things in the woods, killing animals. There were a million thoughts running through my head...blood, guns, beer, camo?, cute camo clothes, bambi, bambi's mom, Who are these people?.

So who are these people?

The leader of the family, the strongest, most loving, toughest woman I know...My mother in law, LD. We'll call her Mil on this blog.

TD is D's dad. He's extremely hardworking, loyal, has a huge heart and an inappropriate sense of humor (that makes everyone laugh). Once he gets tickled by something he can't stop laughing and sings one liners from songs over and over because it never gets old. We'll call him Fil on this blog.

D3, D's little brother. Sweetest, most caring 20-something guy around. Loves his Momma and is passionate about fishing and the other lady in his life, C.

D2, D's fraternal twin brother is extremely smart and serious. Intimidating at times and is the best bargain shopper I know. He's kinda quiet but a great guy with a huge heart.

D2 is married to S, and they have a beautiful son CR. They were high school sweethearts and are the cutest couple to ever make a cute baby. She's a very generous, kind person and we share a love for cooking and baking.

It was an awkward and sometimes extremely embarrassing transition in my life getting to know and love these people that are now my family.

I'll post about my first dinner with the family, tomorrow. Stay tuned...


D and I in Colorado, 2008, engaged for 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment