Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dinner

I was so scared to meet D's family. I'd met his twin brother, S, and his parents before. But everyone (all 5 of them) would be in one place at one time to have dinner. He told me not to worry, they would be nice to me, and I knew it would be a little awkward since I was a little different. I have this social anxiety that makes it even more difficult to act like a normal person in uncomfortable social situations. And by uncomfortable, I mean every social situation. It's like my vocabulary disappears and all I do is make humming noises. It's a REAL problem, trust me. So I dressed as nice/casual as I could and we went to D's parents house for dinner. We all sat around outside and talked while the steaks cooked on the grill. Everything was going really well. I had a few beers and the anxiety was starting to go away a little. When it was time to eat someone told me "don't be bashful", so I made my plate. We had to pull chairs from around the house so everyone could sit at the table. They were very polite and gave me a chair at the head of the table and didn't make me sit in an office chair that was too short for the table. I'm short enough as it is and I at least wanted to be able to see over the table, so it was very nice for them to give me a normal chair, so I thought. I didn't know when I sat down that the chair they had given me to sit in was broken. With everyone sitting at the table, I sat down and the chair broke and my ass landed on the floor. Everyone started laughing. It was the most humiliating thing to ever happen to a girl trying to make a good impression. D's mom felt bad I could tell, and she apologized over and over, but everyone else couldn't help but laugh. I would have laughed too if it had happened to someone else. I turned beet red and got up off the floor. D gave me another chair and we ate dinner.

It was a strange feeling for me. To go from completely awkward and uncomfortable to completely humiliated. It was nuts. How does that happen? and why do these things happen to me? I'm already moaning at these people because I'm so nervous, why? What did I do to deserve this? Well, at least nothing can get any worse. This is the worst! And with that thought, I felt relief. Nothing else can go any more wrong then what has already happened so you might as well laugh at yourself and move on. And that is exactly what I did. It was hilarious and we all still laugh about what happened that night, five years ago, the first time I came over for dinner.

D and I are going out of town tomorrow for a fishing tournament at Lake Sam Rayburn. I know right, fishing tournament?!?! Yep, that is one of the many things that I love to do because of D and I have awesome beginners luck. I'll post pictures of our adventure throughout the weekend.


I caught an 8 pound bass last year and won $1500.

1 comment:

  1. How embarassing! Way to react well though...shows a lot about who you are.

    ReplyDelete